Counselors in Training Have Opportunities for Growth as They:
- Develop and feel confident in leadership skills and teaching skills
- Experience planning and leading activities, working with others across differences, and stepping into mentorship roles.
- Opportunities to take on age-appropriate challenges that build your skills, confidence and capacity for working with people of all ages.
- Develop professional, leadership, and critical thinking skills with mentorship from the Camp Hochelaga CIT Director in a physically and socially emotionally safe environment of self-empowerment and fun!
- Transition from camper to staff in a supportive and empowering environment
- Understand the unique rules and traditions of camp and why they are important
- Specifically developed skill sets for working with kids and co-workers that translate to many workplaces beyond camp.
During Their 5 Week Session CITs Will:
- Have the opportunity to become Lifeguard/First Aid/CPR/AED Certified through the American Redcross (2 year certification valid across the globe)
- Build a resume and practice interview skills
- Gain hands-on experience caring for campers and engaging them in meaningful programs
- Write lesson plans for campers of all ages in program areas across camp
- Engage with our community through a service project
- Practice team work and connect with fellow CITs during the 3 day CIT canoe trip
- Be among a strong and respectful group that you can use as a resource and support network
Check out this article highlighted just a few of the many benefits of being a camp counselor and leader: The Camp Counselor Vs. The Intern (New York Times)
Are you ready to be a CIT?
- Must be at least 16 years old or have completed the tenth grade.
- 15-year-olds can apply but may not be eligible as an Assistant Counselor candidate for the following season.
- Feel excited about working with kids of all ages, collaborating with others to accomplish projects and take on challenges, ready to think about, talk about, and act on what it means to be a great leader!
CIT Application Process:
CIT applications open annually on January 1st. First round applications are due by March 31st. To apply for Camp Hochelaga’s CIT program, click the application link below on or after November 1st and complete the online questionnaire and forms.